A to Z Guide
Answers to frequently asked questions about Communications.
- Advertising – The Office of Communications will work with you to design advertisements for placement in various media outlets. It is the responsibility of the department or program unit to select an ad based on budget and turnaround time.
The Office of Communications can recommend various media outlets from which to purchase ad space based on your region and program needs. You must determine the size of the ad, required art format (JPG, PDF, etc.) and find out the media outlet’s deadline. Communications will design the ad and send to you for placement. Contact Matthew Scarfo to learn more about advertising .
- Annual Meeting – Extension’s Annual Meeting typically takes place each November. The Awards and Recognition Luncheon is part of this event.
- Apparel – See "Promotional Items."
- “Are You Smarter Than a 4-H’er?” Game – See "Games."
- Awards – See "Graphic Design” for information on who to contact to design awards and certificates. For information on Annual Meeting awards, see “Annual Meeting” or visit "Awards & Recognition."
- Bags – Yellow WVU Extension Service bags are part of an annual bulk order made available to your county or program unit in April, budget permitting. A central supply of these items is no longer available. Items and requests placed outside of the bulk order will be the financial responsibility of your office or program unit. Prices will vary based on quantity ordered. To order:
- Contact Pam Sandlin by emailing email@example.com or by calling 513.398.6324. If you want to browse for ideas for your next project please visit their website: www.apbranded.com.
- Contact Matthew Scarfo to request art for your bag.
- Complete the Trademark Licensing Product Request Form.
- Place your order with Pam at AP Branded Solutions.
- Banners – Contact Matthew Scarfo for banner design. To reserve Extension banners, see “Displays.”
- Billboards – Contact Matthew Scarfo for information on billboards.
- Bookmarks – See “Graphic Design”.
- Branding – For help with branding and guidelines, contact Matthew Scarfo.
- Brochures – See “Graphic Design.”
- Business Cards – Business cards can be ordered online. For specific questions about business cards, contact Lindsay Wiles.
- Camp T-Shirts – See “Promotional Items.”
- Canning Game – Also known as “Pick the Canner” game. See “Games.”
- CD/DVD Duplication – The Office of Technology can help you copy CDs and DVDs for work purposes. Contact Gitta Jenkins for DVD duplication.
- Certificates – See “Graphic Design.”
- CleanSlate – WVU's official web content management system used by to maintain Extension websites. To request access to CleanSlate, contact Wes Nugent.
- Communications ENEWS – Comm ENEWS is published every other Wednesday by the Office of Communications. This enewsletter provides news and other resources to help you promote your programs. Directory updates and catastrophic leave requests are also provided.
- Condolences – Condolences can be sent ESALL from anyone within the organization. If you would prefer to have the Office of Communications distribute the message, please contact Lindsay Wiles.
- Conference Signage – For event and conference posters, see “Graphic Design.”
Copyright Permission Request
– When permission is requested, the following response can be used:
"The West Virginia University Extension Service grants your organization permission to reprint the referenced content so long as the author(s) and institution are properly attributed, and this content is not being repurposed/repackaged/resold for any commercial gain."
- County News Service – County News articles are written by Extension writers and can be customized for use in local newspapers, newsletters and other publications. They are posted online and distributed in Communications ENEWS. If you need help with a special article or have topic suggestions, contact Lindsay Wiles.
- Crisis Communications – Lindsay Wiles can assist with creating a crisis communications plan for your county, camp or event. If a crisis should occur, she can also be contacted to help facilitate communications efforts.
- Custom Items – See “Graphic Design.”
- Cutouts – Cutouts of the WVU PRT, Bob Huggins, Jerry West, Mountaineer Mascot and Musket are available for loan. Contact Robin Anderson to borrow cutouts.
- "Cuts of Meat” Game – See “Games.”
- Day at the Legislature – See “Legislative Day.”
- Design – Communications offers design assistance for everything from brochures to billboards. For design needs, contact Matthew Scarfo.
- Directory – The Extension Employee Directory includes email addresses, phone numbers and job titles. Contact Gitta Jenkins to report additions, departures and corrections to the Employee Directory. When new information is available, the online directory is updated on Fridays.
- Displays – The Office of Communications is currently designing display kits for loan.
- Display kits will include:
One branded tablecloth
Communications also provides design and marketing assistance for creating your own custom displays. See “Graphic Design.”
- Domain Names – Custom vanity domain names can be purchased by programs/units but should be ordered through the Office of Communications. For example, a vanity domain name for extension.wvu.edu/community-business-safety/fire-service is “wvufire.org.” For help on acquiring domain names, contact Wes Nugent.
- DVD Duplication – See “CD/DVD Duplication.”
- Editing – For publications editing, contact Lindsay Wiles.
- ENEWS – See “Communications ENEWS” or “Mountaineer ENEWS.”
- Email Accounts – Vanity email accounts are the email accounts associated with an office or unit. ExtensionCommunications@mail.wvu.edu is an example of a vanity email account. These accounts can be used on websites or for sending correspondence from your office. Learn more about shared/vanity accounts .
- Envelopes – For branded office envelopes, contact Benji Bradley.
- Event Planning – For assistance in planning special events, contact Robin Anderson.
- Event Signage – For event and conference posters, see “Graphic Design.”
- Expert Bios – The Office of Communications provides writing and editing assistance for faculty wishing to produce an expert bio for use online, at conferences, etc. To request an expert bio, contact Lindsay Wiles.
- Facebook – See “Social Media.”
- Faculty Research Posters – Faculty research poster templates can be customized by the user. For more information on the template for faculty research posters, contact Matthew Scarfo.
- Fair – The Office of Communications encourages you to consider what sort of promotional items you may wish to distribute at your local fairs before placing your annual bulk order (see “ Promotional Items”). Also see “ State Fair.”
– Flying WV fans are part of an annual bulk order made available to
your county or program unit in April, budget permitting. A central supply of
these items is no longer available. Items and requests placed outside of the
bulk order will be the financial responsibility of your office or program unit.
Prices will vary based on quantity ordered. To order:
- Flyers – For flyers, contact Matthew Scarfo.
- Flying WV Stickers – Flying WV stickers are part of an annual bulk order made available to your county or program unit in spring, budget permitting. A central supply of these items is no longer available. Items and requests placed outside of the bulk order will be the financial responsibility of your office or program unit. Prices will vary based on quantity ordered. To order
- Folders – If the budget allows for it, an annual bulk order of these items will be made available to your county or program unit in spring. A central supply of these items is no longer available. Items and requests placed outside of the bulk order will be the financial responsibility of your office or program unit. Prices will vary based on quantity ordered.
- Extension Folder – Yellow or gold
Proforma 3rd Degree Marketing
Email: Steve Flaughers
Games – Many of Extension’s games used at events are available for loan through the Office of Communications. Games include “Label Mable,” “Label Baby Mable,” “Plants to Plates,” “Pick the Canner,” “Refrigerator Safety,” “Cuts of Meat,” and “Are You Smarter Than a 4-H’er?” To reserve games, contact Robin Anderson.
- Garden Calendar – The WVU Extension Service Garden Calendar is available to county offices and program units. To request extra copies of the garden calendar for your county, contact Robin Anderson .
- Graphic Design – Graphic design requests and information should go through Matthew Scarfo. Matthew will outline a time frame and process, and then assign a designer to work with you on the project.
- Graphics – Graphics are created by designers in the Office of Communications. Graphics can be used for print, web and promotional items. Contact Matthew Scarfo to learn more or to request a graphic.
- Hats – See “Promotional Items.”
- Instagram – See “Social Media.”
- Label Baby Mable - See “Games.”
- Label Mable - See “Games.”
- Legislative Day – Day at the Legislature takes place during the Legislative session, typically in January or February. The event is coordinated by Communications and includes participants from across the University and state. To learn more about Legislative Day events, contact Robin Anderson.
- Letterhead – The Office of Communications is working to create electronic letterhead options. Until then, please contact Lindsay Wiles to order printed letterhead.
- Licensees – Licensees are companies officially licensed and approved to produce West Virginia University items. All promotional items, with the exception of printed publications, must be printed by an approved licensee.
Link Requests - Just because a site asks for a link doesn’t
mean it should be given and, by default, the WVU Extension Service does not
link to non-academic third-party sites. Remember to just say no.
Contact Wes Nugent with questions or use the following response:
"Your invitational request for the WVU Extension Service to link your website content has been received. The WVU Extension Service doesn’t republish unsolicited hyperlinking requests and, regretfully, your request can’t be honored. The site information however will be shared with appropriate academic personnel for reference."
- Listservs – WVU Extension Service electronic mailing lists are stored centrally at WVU and updated regularly. By addressing a message to ESALL-L@listserv.wvu.edu, you can send the message to everyone in Extension. A list of all WVU Extension Service listservs is available in the Extension Employee Directory.
- Logos – Extension-related logos are available for download online. If a special logo format or size is needed for printing, please contact Matthew Scarfo .
- Marketing Plans – Contact Lindsay Wiles for marketing plans .
- Media Advisories – Media advisories are created by Communications writers and sent to reporters to alert them to story, photo and film opportunities. Contact Lindsay Wiles for more information regarding media advisories.
- Media Relations – Contact Tara Curtis for media relations.
- Media Training – Contact Tara Curtis for media training.
- Mountaineer ENEWS – Submit articles for WVU’s Mountaineer ENEWS online. Or, contact the Office of Communications for assistance in writing your submission. If Communications creates a press release for your program or event, this information will automatically be sent to Mountaineer ENEWS on your behalf and no additional action is necessary on your part. See “Communications ENEWS” for other ENEWS options. Subscribe to Mountaineer ENEWS.
- Name Tags – Order a name tag online. Contact Robin Anderson with any questions.
- News Releases – News releases are typically coordinated prior to the event or news happening. The Office of Communications can provide writing, editing and distribution assistance. Contact Lindsay Wiles.
- Newsletters – To learn more about creating a newsletter template, enewsletters, or writing and editing newsletters, contact Lindsay Wiles. For print newsletter design help, contact Matthew Scarfo or contact Wes Nugent for electronic newsletters.
- Office Email Accounts – See “Vanity Accounts.”
- Office Signage – See “Signage.”
Ordering Branded Products – The Office of Communications provides
assistance with designing branded promotional items. The Office of Communications
will assist with preparing the art for you to send to the vendor.
To learn how to order Extension folders, stickers, fans, pins, etc., visit the branded promotional items link. Additional custom products (t-shirts, mugs, pens, etc.) can be designed by the Office of Communications with adequate notice. Ordering is the responsibility of your office or unit, along with any financial responsibilities. When ordering branded items:
- Page Runners – The Office of Communications is developing page runners and will update this section with a link when those items are available.
Pencils – If the budget allows for it, an annual bulk order
of these items will be made available to your county or program unit in spring.
A central supply of these items is no longer available. Items and requests
placed outside of the bulk order will be the financial responsibility of your
office or program unit. Prices will vary based on quantity ordered.
- Photography – For photography requests, contact Matthew Scarfo.
- “Pick the Canner” Game – Also known as the “Canning” Game. See “Games.”
- Pinterest – See “Social Media.”
- “Plants to Plates” Game – See “Games.”
- Posters – For event and conference posters, see “Graphic Design.”
- PowerPoint – Branded PowerPoint templates are available for download.
- Press Releases – See “News Releases.”
- Printing – For estimates on outside printing, contact Lindsay Wiles. Note: Printed publications (ex: flyers, handouts, brochures, etc.) using the logo do not need to go through Trademark Licensing for prior approval.
Promotional Items – Promotional items can be everything from
branded Extension shirts
to Flying WV fans. Communications offers design support for creating new promotional
items (see “Graphic Design”).
To learn how to order, see “ Branded Promotional Items.” To learn how to reserve the
promotional items Communications loans, search for the specific item(s) you would like to
check out. For instance, see “ Tablecloths” or “ Pencils.”
Communications no longer keeps a central supply of fans, bags, pencils or other promotional items, as these are the responsibility of county offices to order during the annual bulk order.
For assistance with ordering, designing or editing publications, contact Lindsay
- “Refrigerator Safety” Game – See “ Games.”
Research Poster Templates – Download and edit poster presentation
assistance with academic poster templates, contact Matthew Scarfo.
- Shirts – See “Promotional Items.”
- Signage – For office signage, contact Matthew Scarfo with your measurement needs. Funding for these signs is not provided by Communications and must be determined before an order is placed.
- Social Media – View social media guidelines and learn how to register your accounts with WVU Extension Service. The Office of Communications must be an admin on county or program accounts. Contact Zane Lacko to learn more about social media.
State Fair – The WVU Building at the state fair is operated
by WVU Extension Service and
coordinated by the Office of Communications. Events in the barn, 4-H building and at
other locations are not coordinated by Communications. For more information on
participating in the state fair, contact Robin Anderson.
- Stickers – See “Flying WV Stickers.”
Style Guide – Need to know which writing style to use when referring
to WVU Extension
Service? The Style Guide provides a quick reference list. Style guide questions can be directed
to Lindsay Wiles.
Tablecloths – Instructions are provided for borrowing or ordering
Borrowing: The Office of Communications owns three tablecloths available
To reserve the tablecloths, contact Robin Anderson. If the tablecloths
become soiled from use, please dry clean the cloths before returning.
Ordering: Official WVU Extension Service tablecloths will now only feature
“West Virginia University” and not the county, college or program unit name.
This is University-wide policy. These tablecloths are exclusively available
from Signs Plus.
Costs are as follows:
- 6’ = $280
- 8’ = $300
- Convertible (can be 6’ or 8’) = $328
Note: A discount of $40 off of each item is applied when more than one tablecloth is purchased.
1. Contact Signs Plus at 304-296-6300, or email Steve Oyenik.
2. Complete the Trademark Licensing Product Request Form.
3. The vendor will then carryout the process from there.
- Trademark Licensing - Trademark Licensing maintains the list of WVU licensees, which are companies licensed to create WVU-branded products. To learn more about ordering products from licensees, see “Ordering Branded Products.”
Twitter – See “Social Media.”
University Relations – University Relations sets the University’s
standards and policies for
marketing, branding and communications efforts.
- Vanity Accounts – See “Email Accounts.”
Video – The Office of Communications can help write, edit and
produce videos. The video staff is limited so advanced notice and planning
Contact Extension Communications regarding your video needs.
- Websites – To request a page or learn more about best practices, contact Wes Nugent.
Who’s Who in Communications? – Not sure who to call or where
to turn? Check out the
members of our team to learn more about the role they play in Communications. For a list
of phone numbers and email addresses, please reference the directory.
- Director – Tara Curtis
- Administrative and Technical Support
• Robin Anderson – Administrative Assistant
• Gitta Jenkins – Database Technician
- Content Strategy
• Hannah Booth – Writer/Editor
• Zane Lacko – Writer/Editor
• Lindsay Wiles – Editor/ Publications Specialist
- Creative Services
• Matthew Scarfo – Multimedia Specialist Senior
• Greg Jacobs – Senior Graphic Designer
• Lori Costello Rigden – Senior Graphic Designer
• Wesley Nugent – Professional Technologist
- Writing – Press releases, newsletter articles, web articles, media advisories, brochures, and many other writing projects are the responsibility of the writer/editors within the Communications unit. Contact Lindsay Wiles to discuss your writing needs.
WVU ENEWS – See “Mountaineer ENEWS.”
1. Select a company from the WVU Trademark Licensing licensee list.
2. Select the product you wish to order (ex: piggy banks).
3. Send the following information to Matthew Scarfo so that your artwork can be adjusted based on the item’s imprint area:
a. Product name (ex: stress balls)4. Once you receive the artwork from Matthew, place your order with the company and complete the Trademark Product Request Form. Note: If this step is not completed in a timely fashion then your order will be delayed and may not make the original deadline.
b. Color (ex: gold)
c. Imprint area (either get this info from the vendor, or send the item link to
d. Colors you wish to print on the item
e. Deadline to place the order in time for the company to fulfill the request
and ship to you