On-the-job injury/illness is an event not to be taken lightly by either employees or supervisors. If you experience an OTJ injury/illness, you must report it! For the most information visit the WVU HR – Workers' Compensation site. Questions regarding workers' compensation may be directed to the WVU HR Medical Management Unit staff.
Steps to Take for Workplace Accidents, Injuries, and Illness
1. Notify your supervisor immediately, and contact Amanda Biddle at Medical Management within 24 hours.
2. Make sure documentation is submitted as quickly as possible. This can help you get all the benefits for which you may be entitled.
- Be sure that your supervisor completes the injury/illness report and return it within three (3) days.
- The original report must be mailed to Employee Health & Safety (EH&S) and a copy of the report must be faxed to Medical Management.
- If the employee is unable to complete these steps, then it is the supervisor’s responsibility.
- These steps must be completed even if you do not seek medical treatment.
- Be sure the treating physician accepts Workers’ Compensation insurance.
- Notify the treating physician that you have sustained an on-the-job injury.
- Complete the form BI-1&2 at the treating physician’s office ( BrickStreet Mutual Insurance is WVU’s Workers’ Compensation Carrier)
- You should file your claim as close to your injury date as possible.
4. A release to return to work must be provided by your physician to Medical Management before you will be able to return to work, regardless of the amount of time missed.
Mail Original Report To:
WVU Office of Environmental Health and Safety
Attn: Injury/Illness Prevention Program
PO Box 6551
Morgantown WV 26506-6551
FAX Copy of Report to:
WVU Human Resources
Medical Management Unit
PO Box 6640
Morgantown WV 26506-6640