Can I retract a message?
If you’ve sent an email message you now regret, you can recall it in Outlook.Note: You cannot recall messages if any of the following conditions are met.
- the recipient is not using Outlook.
- the recipient is not logged onto the mail service provider.
- the recipient is using ‘Cached Exchange Mode’ and is working offline.
- the original message is moved from the Inbox. This can occur with rules are used.
- the original message is opened first and is marked as
read. This can occur when the message is displayed in the Preview Pane or
( Source of text in the previous bullets.)
- the message was sent to a Listserv® list.
Follow the steps below to recall a message.
- Open Outlook and go to Sent Items.
- Open the message you want to recall or replace.
- Under Actions, click on Recall This Message.
- Make the proper selection to do what you need. The options are:
Delete unread copies of this message.
Delete unread copies and replace with a new message.
Enable “Tell me if recall succeeds or fails for each recipient” if you want to be notified.
- Click [OK].
- If you chose to “replace” a message, type it and send it.